What are beetles?
With over 12,000 species of beetles living in the United States, there's a good chance you will have a run-in with one species or another at some point. They have two unique pairs of wings. The first pair is hard and thick and serves as a protective shield for the second pair. The second pair of wings are much more delicate and are what they use for flying. Their wing covers meet and create a straight line down the beetle’s back. Beetles also have well-developed antennae and chewing mouthparts. Beetles come in a variety of shapes but are usually oval, dome-shaped, or an elongated oval shape. Beetles larvae look much different than adults and are worm-like or caterpillar-like in appearance.
Are beetles dangerous?
Beetles are difficult to control, making them annoying pests. They are also considered dangerous or destructive pests because of the damage they can cause to our food and property. Beetles and their larvae will feed on things like clothes, upholstered furniture, stored food, flowers, crops, and landscaping plants.
Why do I have a beetle problem?
Beetle infestations develop after they discover that your property or home provides them with suitable living conditions and easy access to food sources. Beetles can enter inside on their own, usually through spaces around windows and doors. They are also commonly introduced indoors on potted plants, in boxes, on furniture, or in contaminated dry goods purchased from the store.
Where will I find beetles?
Adult beetles mainly live outside in both aquatic environments and on land. On dry land, you’ll usually find the adults on flowers, plants, trees, or in areas of damp soil. However, they do often move inside while foraging for food, to escape harsh weather conditions, or after attracted by outdoor lighting. Beetles and their larvae tend to invade kitchens, pantries, basements, closets, and other storage areas.
How do I get rid of beetles?
Getting rid of beetles from your yard, home, or business is best left up to a professional. The professionals here at Amco Pest Solutions will provide you with the year-round solutions needed to get rid of beetles and prevent them from returning. Whether you are looking to get rid of a current beetle infestation or avoid future problems with them, our family owned and operated company is here to help.
Our professionals are committed to providing the pest control services needed to help home and business owners keep their properties free of beetles and other common pests.
Amco Pest Solutions provides residential pest control and commercial pest control services throughout New Jersey, the five boroughs of New York, and South Florida. Reach out today to learn more about our effective beetle control solutions!
How can I prevent beetles in the future?
To make your property less attractive to beetles, whether you live in New Jersey, New York, or South Florida, use the following, easy to execute, prevention tips:
- Keep adult beetles out of your home by sealing any cracks and crevices around windows and doors.
- Make sure that screens are completely intact and fix any that are loose.
- Check out your home’s foundation and seal up any cracks that you find with caulk.
- Regularly vacuum and dust your home to get rid of shed pet hair, human hair, and dust.
- Don’t purchase dry goods from the store that have holes or tears in them.
- Do not use cardboard boxes as a way to store clothing, fabrics, or food in your home.
- Store any items made from natural fibers in pest-proof storage containers.
- Remove dry goods from their original containers and place them in plastic, metal, or glass containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Replace white outdoor bulbs with yellow bulbs or LED bulbs — they are less attractive to beetles and other insects.
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection with Amco Pest Solutions.