Miami-Dade County's Complete Guide To Effective Pavement Ant Control
May 28, 2021
How familiar are you with ants? Do you find these pests crawling around your home at least once a day? Do they only come around during certain times of the year? Have you never had an ant infestation but know you wouldn’t like it? Here in Miami-Dade County, one species of ants is causing a lot of trouble around homes. They are called pavement ants and with this complete guide, you can make sure these pests stay outside where they belong.
What Are Pavement Ants?
Pavement ants are a common species of pest ant here in Miami-Dade County that prefers building their nests beneath the ground around paved areas. Thought to have been brought to the states sometime in the 17th or 18th century, these area insects are now found across America.
Identify a pavement ant by its ⅖ to 4mm long, dark brown to black body, and the parallel furrows or lines on its head and thorax. Within each colony of pavement ants, there are workers and queens. Workers are in charge of building and gathering food where queens reproduce young and assign them roles. Once a year, fully mature colonies create what are called swarmers. These winged reproductive ants leave their nest, find new locations to build, lose their wings, and get to work starting a new home.
The Dangers Of Pavement Ants
Many problems come from having pavement ants inside a home, most of which include contaminated food sources and the annoyance of having these bugs crawling around. As for danger, pavement ants are not harmful pests. They do not spread any disease, do not bite, and are neither venomous nor aggressive. The biggest problem you will have with these insects is with their presence and their constant attempts to steal food and drinks.
Tips To Prevent Pavement Ants
Although pavement ants typically live outside, they are known to come indoors to search for food and water or even move inside when the weather becomes unfavorable. To stop these pests at your exterior walls, here are some simple prevention tips to implement around your Miami-Dade property:
- Keep up with your landscaping.
- Remove clutter and debris from your yard.
- Eliminate sources of water build up around your property.
- Make sure your gutters and out spouts are in good working order.
- Fix leaky piping in and around your home.
- Pick up fruits, nuts, and berries that fall into your yard.
- Use a caulking gun or some liquid cement to fill in holes, gaps, and cracks found in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Check weatherstripping, door sweeps, and window/door screens around your home, and make sure they are in good condition.
- Address damage to your home’s exterior including with siding, shingles, and its chimney.
- Thoroughly clean your home at least once a week and do your best to pick up with food messes and drink spills.
- Avoid feeding your pest outdoors and clean out their bowls after every meal.
- Store leftover foods inside airtight containers.
What To Do If You Find Pavement Ants In Your Home
When it comes to handling pavement ants around properties, your best option is to get the experts at Amco Pest Solutions involved. We have been servicing homes in our area for over 80 years and would be happy to put our decades of experience to work keeping your home protected against pests. Whether you are looking for a long term solution to keep pavement ants away or a quick solution to get these pests out, we have your options here.
Contact our team today to learn more about our comprehensive pest control plans and find one that best fits you and your Miami-Dade home’s individual needs.