Ten Quick & Effective Wildlife Control Tips For Miami-Dade County Property Owners
December 24, 2020
When you think about pest control, you might imagine common household pests such as ants, spiders, and beetles, but you may be forgetting about the kind of pests that often get into yards around Miami-Dade County.
Wildlife basically refers to non-domesticated animals that don’t need humans to survive. In the Miami-Dade area, there is a wide range of nuisance wildlife species that commonly cause problems for property owners. These include squirrels, raccoons, bats, snakes, and birds. Here is a brief overview of these animals:
- Squirrels are a large rodent with bushy tails and dark eyes. The most common squirrel in the area is a tree squirrel.
- Raccoons are small mammals that have mask-like markings around their eyes as well as bushy tails with ringed markings.
- Bats are mammals that can carry many diseases. They have furry bodies and leathery wings.
- Common snakes in the area include various rattlesnakes and hog-nosed snakes as well as garter snakes. There are also non-native Burmese pythons.
- There are many bird species but pigeons are one of the worst nuisance birds. They are a grey color with iridescent feathers on their necks.
While each of these species is cause for unique concern, they can all cause problems and be difficult and challenging to deal with.
What Problems Can Wildlife Cause?
While some species of wildlife can seem more intimidating than others, most, even cuter species like squirrels, are still a cause for concern. First of all, wildlife can pose many health risks. Raccoons, squirrels, bats, and birds can carry and spread diseases such as rabies and plague. They may also carry certain parasites. Rodents can also cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks. Plus, many of the snakes in the area are venomous which makes them very dangerous to have around.
Secondly, wildlife can cause a lot of property damage. Rodents will constantly gnaw on things and can damage anything from drywall to electrical wires. Raccoons, birds, and rodents also often get into pet food and sometimes even your food. Many wildlife species will also ruin gardens and landscaping.
Ten Simple Ways To Prevent Wildlife
Because wildlife can be dangerous and destructive, the best overall way to protect your property, yourself, and your family is to take steps to keep them off your property. This involves focusing on underlying factors that attract wildlife in the first place and reducing those factors by:
- Making sure to store pet food indoors
- Keeping dogs vaccinated from rabies
- Getting Rid of bird feeders or at least storing them where most other wildlife can’t get to them
- Addressing underlying pest issues, such as mice and rats, that could attract larger wildlife such as snakes
- Keeping bushes, trees, and shrubs trimmed and well-maintained
- Cleaning up leaf piles, grass clippings, and other organic debris
- Making sure to keep outdoor garbage cans fitted with lids
- Removing fallen trees and damaged wood from your property
- Storing firewood neatly and at least 30 feet from the exterior of your home
- Repairing broken screens to keep wildlife from coming inside
What Is The Best Way To Get Wildlife Out Of Your Yard?
Having wildlife around your Miami-Dade County property can lead to a lot of danger and damage, so taking steps to deter them is important. However, while you should follow the above list to help prevent wildlife on your own, the best way to prevent and remove wildlife problems is with help from the experts at Amco Pest Solutions.
We have been in business for over 85 years, and are family-owned and operated which means we care a great deal about providing excellent, friendly customer service. To learn more about our wildlife prevention options, or to schedule a free inspection, contact us today at Amco Pest Solutions!