The Key To Effective Mosquito Control In New Jersey
August 20, 2021
Mosquitoes are one of the most notorious pests and are found in New Jersey and throughout the world. These small flying insects can make spending time outdoors miserable as they bite both human and animal hosts in order to get a blood meal. However, it’s only the females of the species who drink blood as they use the extra protein to lay their eggs. The males only consume nectar.
Mosquitoes can be identified by their long, skinny body shape and six thin legs. They are usually a grey color and have a nose-like appendage called a proboscis which is what they use to drink their food sources. Their wings are translucent and they have long, narrow bodies.
While everyone knows that mosquito bites are annoying and itchy, they aren’t just a nuisance pest. Mosquitoes are one of the most dangerous animals in the entire world and are responsible for an estimated one million deaths every year. They’re known to spread many illnesses including the West Nile virus, malaria, Zika virus, and many more.
Because of the risks of mosquitoes, knowing how to prevent them is the best way to protect your property, and yourself, from these terrifying and deadly pests.
What Attracts Mosquitoes To A Property?
Mosquitoes need access to standing water in order to lay their eggs, and they are generally attracted to humid environments. They also prefer areas with overgrown vegetation as they will hide in the shade of leaves during the day.
To make your property less appealing to mosquitoes, you can take the following steps to deter them:
- Remove standing water and make sure that rainwater doesn’t pool in your yard.
- Keep gutters clean to ensure proper drainage.
- If you have hot tubs, pools, or other water features keep them clean and use cycled water.
- Regularly trim shrubs, trees, and bushes around your yard to eliminate the places where mosquitoes like to rest during the day.
What Is The Most Effective Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away?
Following mosquito prevention steps can reduce the risk of them coming around your New Jersey property, but they are generally a very difficult pest to control. The most effective way to keep mosquitoes away, and to also remove them once they're there, is with help from the experts at Amco Pest Solutions.
We have more than 80 years of experience, and we offer both residential and commercial mosquito control options. Our services are the safest and most effective way to keep these dangerous pests away, so give us a call today to request your free inspection.
How To Protect Yourself From Mosquito Bites
While Amco Pest Solutions can provide reliable mosquito control services, there are still tips you should follow when spending time outdoors to keep yourself protected from mosquitoes. The following tips will make you less vulnerable to bites:
- Wear light-colored clothing as mosquitoes are less attracted to the light than dark.
- Avoid being outside during dusk as this is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear mosquito repellent, especially if you’re in the wilderness or near bodies of water such as lakes and ponds.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and other sweet-smelling food outdoors as these smells attract mosquitoes.
- Sweat also attracts mosquitoes, so clean up before going outside if you’ve been sweating a lot.