The Secret To Effective Mosquito Control For Your New Jersey Yard
May 29, 2020
What is your go-to method for dealing with mosquitoes? Are you a self slapper? How bout a bug spray master? Perhaps you prefer the ancient technique of fan waving. Whatever way you are currently dealing with mosquitoes, we are here to tell you there is a better solution. If you are curious to find out the secret to effective mosquito control, we have everything you need to know.
What Are Mosquitoes?
Chances are you already know that mosquitoes are flying blood-sucking pests. But what you might not know about these tiny nuisances might shock you. Here are just a few less known facts about mosquitoes.
- Only female mosquitoes bite people.
- Mosquitoes lay their eggs in stagnant sources of water.
- Across the world, there are over 3,500 species of mosquitoes.
- To suck blood, mosquitoes use a sharp syringe-like mouthpiece that protrudes from their face.
- A single mosquito can drink up to 3 times its body weight in blood.
- Just like bears, mosquitoes hibernate.
- Male mosquitoes use the sound of females' wings to find them.
- Mosquitoes can smell your breath from a good distance away.
- Mosquitoes can detect you by your body heat.
Are Mosquitoes Dangerous?
If you have ever gone camping in the summer, you already know how annoying mosquitoes are. What you might not know is that every time you were bitten, there was a chance of your getting very sick. Mosquitoes are by far the most dangerous creatures on the planet, they are responsible for over one million deaths each year. Fortunately, here in America, treatment for mosquito-borne diseases is much more accessible. Your chances of dying from a mosquito bite are minimal.
Ways You Can Combat Mosquito Populations On Your Property
The less mosquitoes are able to breed, the less of a problem they will be on your property. The question is, how can you prevent mosquitoes from reproducing? The answer is simpler than you might think. All you have to do is make sure there are no standing sources of water for them to lay their eggs in. We recommend thoroughly searching your property and eliminating any standing sources of water. Make sure you check your gutters as they can often become clogged and add to mosquito problems. If you have any decorative pools or birdbaths, consider finding a way that the water can circulate or make sure to empty them and refill them at least weekly.
Can You Treat For Mosquitoes On Your Own
With mosquitoes, there is a right and a wrong way to deal with them. Here are some methods that you might find ineffective to handle mosquitoes on your property.
- Tiki torches
- Scent-based repellents such as lavender, basil, and catnip.
- Mosquito candles.
- Chemical-based mosquito repellent.
- Heat based mosquito repellent machines.
If you are looking for a more effective way to deal with mosquitoes on your property, here are a few things you can try.
- For porches or other sitting areas, consider installing fans. Mosquitoes are terrible flyers and will have trouble landing on you if there is a constant light breeze.
- Use mosquito repellent spray before going outside.
- Wear light-colored clothing outside. This will act as camouflage and make you harder to see by mosquitoes.
- Avoid working out outdoors as sweat and high levels of carbon dioxide from breathing attracts mosquitoes.
The Best Way To Protect Your Yard From Mosquitoes
With the many risks associated with mosquitoes, it is only natural to want the best defense possible to keep these pests off your property. At Amco Pest Solutions we offer mosquito treatments for lawns and landscaping. If you are looking for the best answer to your mosquito problems, our team is here to help.
Give us a call today to schedule a treatment for your New Jersey property so you can find your way to your mosquito-free summer.